Friday, October 1, 2010

Prehistoric Architecture - HSTARC1

I found the topic about prehistoric architecture quite interesting. Although information about prehistoric architecture, their exact dates and the real reasons for their making, are not really accurate, I still am fascinated by it. In my opinion, prehistoric architecture has a shroud of mystery covering it which makes it more interesting.


Let us start off with the background of prehistoric architecture. Whenever I hear of prehistoric, I would always think of men living in caves or trees and huts. And I found out that I was right and it was all well connected to the history of architecture. I liked the idea that even though man still had less knowledge, their instincts are well developed. These instincts made them find their homes naturally and thus somewhere, somehow architecture began. The development of the structures made by man was quite interesting since you can see the development from different ages, from the Old Stone Age to the Neolithic age. How it started off from caves, tents and huts which later became basis in making more advanced structures.


As for other structures which is part of the prehistoric architecture age, the monoliths, dolmens, trilithon and cromlech is a sight to see. The monoliths which is also called “menhirs” gave me a long lasting expression, it was an eye catcher. These rock which stood high was mysterious and along with the faces engraved on them, it gives you a lot to think about why and how they were really made. Another thing that caught my attention was the Petroglyphs. Even at such an early age, there are already these arts which talked about the life of the people. It showed their art, creativity and way of thinking which helped develop through time. The tumuli gave the background that it was being used for spiritual practices. It is good to see and analyze that these could have been a blue print or basis for the great wonders we see in Egypt, the pyramids. And of course, how could I forget “The Stonehenge”. This for me is the symbol of prehistoric architecture. From the looks its self, how it was made and why it was made, I would always want to read more about it. No doubt, it’s a beautiful work of art and architecture. For me, I think prehistoric architecture might not be the best way to analyze architecture we have now but it’s a start we should ignore. Besides, it sure is interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment